Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Bluetooth internet with Nokia 6600 and t-zones

I got it working finally! I can now browse internet on my laptop using t-zones from my 6600. Well.. instructions are simple and is listed at a lot of places in the net. Here's is what I did

1. Subscribed to $4.99 t-zones connection from t-mobile. You get limited internet access - via the t-zones proxy - this way. You get to browse both WAP and regular HTML sites from the handset. I have accessed POP3 and SMTP also - not tried any other ports so far.

2. Configured DUN - dial up networking - from Laptop to 6600 over bluetooth. I use Blekin Bluetooth USB adapter - btw I had to update my windows bluetooth drivers with the ones from WIDCOMM. Enabled bluetooth and paired the phone. Set the Paired device (My Laptop) as authorised in the phone - so I dont need to enter PIN every time I connect.

3. Added the following connection string for the modem - In XP, control panel -> modems -> "Bluetooth Modem" (the one that I am using for my DUN) -> properties -> advaned ->Enter-> AT+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com","",0,0

4. Changed the browser proxy (IE) for my modem connection - NOT the LAN one - as follows
Tools-> InternetOptions->connections -> Bluetooth Modem -> Settings-> Enable Proxy check box -> 216.155.165.50 port 8080.

5. Entered the dial up number for connection as *99# and blank for userid and password.

6. Also I uncheckd the "wait for dial tone" somewhere in the modem configuration.

Thats it. I'm up and running with my wireless internet connection. I felt the browsing speed and reliability is more or less the same as that of a regular dial up.


No comments: